Recently I was applying for some new possible gigs and the more I looked at my resume the more I felt dated. Being in the industry for so long and worked on many different projects, technologies, roles, methodologies putting it all in a traditional resume style would yield into a novella. I decided to challenge myself and think of how I would help the potential decision maker (rather than a recruiter/bot) decide what I can do.
|Traditional||New One-page Design|
JUST ONE PAGE.
- The name I go by. Typical heading letter, but don’t over emphasize it much so I used a thin font.
- My non-physical contact info. Where I am doesn’t really matter does it so drop the actual address.
- Branding. A short one line blurb that says who you are… this is optional if you can’t think of any skip it.
- Experience column.
- Only list what is relevant for your job, no one cares that you worked at McCafe for a few months while you’re 14 when you’re over 21.
- Drop the dates.
- Point out the highlights, don’t put a job description.
- Skills and other lists column.
- Slightly narrower than experience column.
- Keyword stuff here but group them in some fashion. Do not do graphs
- Add references here.